Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Remembering in Song

I would like to take today to remember my Gramms with music. Music touches me deep in my soul and heals me like nothing else. At Gramms' funeral the background music will be handpicked by our family. Much of it will be worship music that she loved. When she was still well enough to go to church she would get so excited when "Shout to the Lord" was on the worship roster. At first I got to enjoy this with her by her side but eventually I became part of the worship team and would be so excited when we would sing it because I knew she would be so happy. The look of joy on her face was awesome!

One thing about Gramms that I will never forget was her deep and abiding love for Jesus. The woman rarely grumbled during her illness and when she did, she rebuked herself. Until her last moments here, she still believed in God for healing and a miracle. Well, she is healed now, she has flown home to be with her Jesus. When the angel standing by her side in her last moments told her gently, "Come to Jesus" I know she went as a child to Disney Land.

She is there now and what a reunion it must have been. Not only with Jesus, but with all those who have gone before her; her dad, her mom, her Aunt Fern, my grandpa Phil and my baby boy Spencer and so many more that I cannot begin to name. And while she knows that we all have our time left here on earth, I imagine that her heart does cry "I Wish You Were Here".

One of my all time favorite gospel songs is "I Can Only Imagine". For those of you who do not know the story of that song, it was written by Bart Millard of Mercy Me shortly after his father died. In his grief he was able to reach out to the One who wipes away our tears and write a WORSHIP song about his father's passing. The line "...will I dance for you Jesus..." makes me weep tears of absolute joy. I remember gatherings when I was a child when Gramms would get up and dance. Her illness robbed her of that joy but now in Heaven she CAN dance for and with Jesus. What a blessing!

Hope you all enjoy my "listen" down memory lane! Oh! And let's not forget the one song that she specifically asked to be played at her funeral, one that she danced a favorite routine to ... "Tea for Two".

2 comments:

Mindy said...

That is a beautiful tribute to Gramms =) She loves it I'm sure! Just perfect...

Loriann said...

Heather, We are praying for you this week. I know it is hard to loose someone you love. We will continue to pray for you and your family. Are you read for the move home? We are praying, and will keep on praying. Have a blessed week. Love to all, Lori and girls